Why RT3T™ Matters?
This bar graph shows how reciprocal teaching can massively outperform ‘teaching as usual’, which is represented by the red line for the average effect size for a year of teaching in Aotearoa New Zealand. For more on the evidence base for reciprocal teaching see this article.
RT3T™ is a modernised version of reciprocal teaching which aims at improving students' skills in accessing and understanding challenging text in any learning area – with a high impact, inclusive and sustainable model.
- RT3T™ promotes ‘confident, connected, actively involved lifelong learners’ (NZC, Vision Statement, 2007, p8)
- RT3T™ is evidence-based
- RT3T™ is a foundational collaborative and inclusive pedagogy that is cross-curricular
- RT3T™ changes the way teachers teach and learners learn together
What could our tamariki and rangatahi expect to get from RT3T™?
- Quickly double their progress in reading
- Learn how to understand texts that seem hard to understand at first
- Learn how to use reciprocal teaching key thinking skills for coping with challenging texts and tasks
- Learn ways to get smarter at thinking – learn metacognitive skills
- Develop confident oral language and collaborative skills so they can work productively with anyone in any subject area, and for life
- Become excited about developing leadership skills
- Feel safer and happier at school – experience less racism, discrimination and bullying